- Global activity overview: earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, and tropical cyclones (typhoons, hurricanes, tropical storms, tropical depressions and other disturbances)
- Activity for user-selected Global locations (anywhere outside the U.S.): local earthquakes, local weather including current conditions, forecasts and satellite imagery
- United States activity overview: severe weather including special tornado and severe thunderstorm watches, volcanoes, wildfires, and landslide related hazards
- Activity for user-selected United States locations: earthquakes, wildfires and local weather including NWS weather/hazard alerts, current conditions, forecasts and radar/satellite imagery
- Google Earth integration provides visualizations of recent earthquake events, volcanoes, tropical cyclones, wildfires and severe weather warnings. Google Earth™ integration also provides high resolution views of any user-selected U.S. or Global location
- Visual and sound notifications on your Windows desktop identifying active alerts
- Email: information on any type of natural hazard tracked by Earth Alerts can be automatically sent by email as soon as an alert is raised; email messages contain the same alert reports and images as shown in the Earth Alerts application screens
- Mobile Devices: SMS/MMS-based messages containing summary alert information with related images can be automatically sent to your mobile device; these notifications cover the most severe natural hazard events, including major earthquakes, tsunami watches/warnings, volcanic eruptions and tornado warnings
Earth Alerts | Version 2015
Latest build: 2016.1.28 Saturday, October 15 2016 - 12:00 PM Pacific time
Earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, hurricanes, typhoons, tornadoes, thunderstorms, floods, wildfires, landslides...
...these are the kinds of things our planet dishes out, which arouses human curiosity, fascination and fear.
Check out the new Google Maps version of EARTH ALERTS here
What is EARTH ALERTS?
Earth Alerts is a Windows-based application that allows you to monitor in near real-time a variety of natural hazard events that are occurring anywhere around the world. Alert notifications, reports, and imagery provide the user with a convenient way to view natural phenomenon as they occur, whether close to home or some far-flung corner of the globe!
Earth Alerts uses a variety of online resources provided by organizations such as the National Weather Service, U.S. Geological Survey and Smithsonian Institution (just to name a few), to identify what sort of activities "Mother Earth" is currently dishing out on the planet.
To use Earth Alerts, you simply select the specific natural hazards -- earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, tropical cyclones, wildfires, landslides, severe weather, local weather, etc. -- and the locations that interest you. The application will then automatically retrieve the latest information from various live data feeds available on the Internet and present it to you in a convenient arrangement of reports, maps and images.
Earth Alerts has been available to the general public since 2005. In that time it has undergone a number of significant enhancements. As a hobby, a one man production and a labor of love, conceiving the ideas and creating Earth Alerts has been a (time consuming) pet project over the past few years!
Much More than a weather monitoring program
Earth Alerts includes basic weather tracking features such as National Weather Service alerts, current conditions, local forecasts and radar/satellite imagery. Note that this program does not provide the most extensive weather data or "fanciest" weather related imagery compared to what is available online. If weather information is all you're interested in, then Earth Alerts is probably NOT for you. There are many comprehensive applications, web browser add-ins, and websites available for monitoring weather. Guess what? I use some of them myself!
I created Earth Alerts to do more than just track weather-related phenomenon. The inspiration for Earth Alerts grew out of an idea to create a single application for monitoring multiple types of natural hazard events. After all, our planet can be quite destructive to us mortals, by offering up dangers in a variety of ways!
Earth Alerts is a little program for anybody who is fascinated with the power of nature and enjoys keeping track of what our little blue planet is dishing out on a regular basis!
Earth Alerts software is 100% free to use, but donations are always appreciated!
Earth Alerts software is intended for personal, non-commercial use only.
In April 2014 Microsoft officially stopped supporting Windows XP, which means no more updates, service packs or fixes. In November 2015 I decided to finally update Earth Alerts to take advantage of the newest Microsoft .NET Framework libraries. The result of this means that I will no longer support Earth Alerts under Windows XP. However, you can still download, install and use a previous version of Earth Alerts, which will work under Windows XP, but I will no longer be updating this particular branch of the software. You can download this version here
- Microsoft Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista: works in both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions of Microsoft Windows
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6: If you are running Windows 10 the .NET Framework 4.6 software should already be installed on your system. For earlier versions of Windows if the .NET Framework 4.6 does not currently exist on your system you will first need to install it prior to installing/running Earth Alerts. You can can download the .NET Framework 4.6 installation package from here.
System Requirements: Hardware
- CPU: Pentium III processor minimum
- Display: 1280 x 800 screen resolution minimum
- Storage: 10 MB hard disk space
- Internet: broadband connection